[tor-talk] What is "cookie protections"?

Yury Bulka setthemfree at privacyrequired.com
Wed Jan 13 10:45:43 UTC 2016

Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> writes:

> Yury Bulka:
>> Thanks for all the info. Yeah, I browse with third party cookies
>> disabled. Additionally, I use two windows of TBB - one for the few sites
>> where I stay logged in, and the other, in Private Browsing mode, for
>> everything else.
>>
>> Regarding the "cookie protections" menu item, it only shows up in the
>> Tor button's menu if the "Don't record history" checkbox is unchecked in
>> Privacy and Security settings.
>
> For what it is worth cookie protections are still broken in current Tor
> Browser versions: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10353
>
>From the ticket: "This means that the Cookie Protections Dialog (and
Firefox's own Cookie Dialog) are always empty in the default TBB
configuration, *unless the user selects to enable history*" (emphasis mine.)

I.e. it's only broken if one is using the Private Browsing mode - and in
this case it is properly hidden. If I do record history however, the
cookie protections dialog is not empty.

But anyway I'd like to know what is the intended purpose of it (I think
I have already deduced it, but I'd like to hear other people's theories
about it).

Best,
Yury.