[tor-talk] Funding Tor Development trough Referral/Affiliate Marketing

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sun Jan 10 15:29:20 UTC 2016

On 01/10/2016 03:08 PM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists wrote:
> I'm wondering if that couldn't be a very interesting model also for
> TorBrowser, whereby the TorBrowser would automatically inject a referral
> ID (in the HTTP header or URL parameters) [...]
> That kind of model could be implemented with a custom plug-in within the
> Tor Browser.

My first reaction was that this is highly unethical.

I can see this happening as a plugin and an option within the setup
wizard to enable it (opt-in). It can probably be done similarly to the
proof-of-concept HTTPS Everywhere ruleset
https://github.com/chris-barry/darkweb-everywhere

I still don't have a very good feeling about it.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/