[tor-talk] On further minimizing harassment for Tor Exit Nodes

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sun Jan 3 13:45:15 UTC 2016

Altering Tor's path selection is something we shouldn't play with
until we have concrete papers that suggest it is wrong. As Moritz
said, having a GeoIP database to make path selection changes is
probably a terrible idea, due that such databases are by design not
100% accurate and subject to constant change. Such a behavior will
also alter anonymity in an unknown (I think bad) way.

Anyway, your suggestion might actually happen automatically along with
a more important fix, which is AS aware path selection. This is non
trivial work and will probably take some time, but it's not unknown
and people are looking into it.

On 1/2/2016 10:37 PM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 01/02/2016 06:46 PM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists wrote:
>> The worst risks is usually considered "being waked up at 6.00am
>> in the morning by authorities" but there's no specific provision
>> on reducing that risks.
>>
>> The guidelines "Tips for Running an Exit Node with Minimal
>> Harassment"
>> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment

does not cover specifically this kind of risk.