[tor-talk] Thoughts on Tor router hardware

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Wed Feb 24 18:22:01 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016, at 03:46 PM, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> My conclusions are that running Tor on the router can enhance both
> security and usability. It further opens new possibilities for expanding
> the Tor-network and can provide a stable source of income for the
> Tor-project.
> Wrote an article about this on my blog:
> https://hoevenstein.nl/thoughts-on-tor-router-hardware

Thanks for the sober, thoughtful post. There are definitely advantages
to the hardware-isolated TorSocks mode for sure, which I think have been
lost with some of the poor implementations out there and focus on the
Transparent proxy type setup.

These kind of trade offs are also something we struggle with on Android
with Orbot, and we are looking at configuration choices like these to
both help the novice user get connected, without unintentionally leaking
data.

+n