[tor-talk] Is it possible to use Tor without showing a Tor IP to the destination?

Anders Andersson pipatron at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 13:37:14 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Scfith Rise up <scfith at riseup.net> wrote:
> Mr. Andersson is assuming a lot. There are definitely tried and true methods to make purchases online and setup identities for these types of things. At the end of the day, yes the VPS provider is the weakest link. But you can use one that has no logs, carries a warrant canary, etc. and you can burn your VPS IP address as often as you need or spin up new ones as often as you need too. This is just one of many approaches and requires you to know what you are doing in locking down the VPS besides knowing how to buy it the right way, etc.

All of this boils down to a single point of failure: You have to trust
your VPS. "Has no logs" - you don't know that. "Burn your VPS IP" -
All IP<->VPS history might be logged. "Spin up new ones" - from the
outside this is exactly like changing the IP, you have to trust that
the VPS provider does not keep the logs.

However, if you do manage to get an anonymous VPS, I agree that it is
beneficial to only connect to it through Tor if you want it to remain
anonymous.