[tor-talk] Bridges and Exits together

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Sat Feb 20 21:28:52 UTC 2016

Anthony Papillion writes:

> I already run an exit node and would like to also run a bridge. Is it
> acceptable to run a bridge and an exit on the same machine and on the
> same instance of Tor? If so, are there any security issues I should be
> aware of in doing so? Any special precautions or measures I should
> take to protect my users?

Your bridge will become less useful for censorship circumvention because
its IP address (as an exit) will get published in the public directory
of Tor nodes and so automatically added to blacklists of Tor-related
addresses.  The censorship-circumvention benefit of bridges, ideally,
comes in because censors don't know that their traffic is related to Tor.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/