[tor-talk] Easier download via email?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Feb 15 13:04:22 UTC 2016

rizzo wrote:
> Also, when I once tried the email bot, the only option was to be sent
> a download link to Dropbox, which isn't of much use when Dropbox is
> also blocked in the country. Has there been any discussion on using
> Amazon or Azure servers instead, following the same rationale like the
> meek bridges?

   GetTor is the Tor delivery bot, and can be triggered by emailing
gettor at torproject.org with either "windows" "osx" or "linux" in the
body.  AFAIK, there isn't a language option.  It uses DropBox to
distribute software, but not 100% sure why, since DropBox is blocked in
China and elsewhere.  However, it is not easy to find
consistently-unblocked hosts for every place where Tor is blocked.  It's
a surprisingly tricky problem.  Israel Leyva has been working on GetTor
lately and has some solid improvements planned.

   There's also Satori, which is a project of mine.  The real downsides
of Satori are that A) there's typically about two weeks between official
software updates and a new Satori release, and B) we use Amazon S3 to
distribute software for most languages (fairly consistently blocked in
most of China).  However, we're about to release a major update that
includes downloads via bittorrent and no longer using Amazon for some
languages.

   If it helps, I can always throw the latest 5.5.2 on github for you to
download as needed.

best,
Griffin

[] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.satori.Satori

--
“We have to create; it is the only thing louder than destruction.”
~ Andrea Gibson