[tor-talk] Why does Facebook claim my Russian exit node is in Colombia?

blobby at openmailbox.org blobby at openmailbox.org
Tue Feb 2 23:18:23 UTC 2016

Can someone please explain why services like Facebook and Gmail are so
wrong when they attempt to geo-locate exit nodes.

As an example, I set ExitNodes to {ru} and logged into my Facebook. This
locked my account. When I logged in Facebook told me there was a
suspicious login. It claimed the IP address of the exit node in Russia
resolved to Colombia! I checked the IP address with WHOIS - it's in
Russia.

Can anyone tell me why exit nodes are frequently placed in a totally
wrong location by companies like Facebook which must have complex
algorithms to detect where their customers are from.

Is it something to do with the exit node as I can't imagine how Facebook
could get it so wrong.