[tor-talk] 4 relays advertising >1000 MByte/s each

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Tue Feb 2 07:03:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:47:30 -0800
Green Dream <greendream848 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still don't understand how such relays can gain a high consensus weight
> so quickly (in 1 or 2 days) without help from the bandwidth authorities.

Don't worry, just another sting operation to capture someone's traffic (by
directing them to relays which have behind the scenes unfairly inflated CW).
This will be explained away in a few days as "whooops, another "researcher"
messed up, nothing to see here guys".

Seriously, if this is not what we should assume, then what? Remember, some
people possibly put their lives on line by trusting the Tor project, and with
this kind of trust involved, how in your right mind you think Tor should be
given a free pass with mysterious "anomalies" like these from time to time?

--
With respect,
Roman