[tor-talk] Intel ME / AMT + NSL vs Tor Nodes

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat Dec 17 22:45:01 UTC 2016

On 12/17/2016 4:08 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 21:48:51 -0000
> "podmo" <podmo at sigaint.org> wrote:
>
>> It cannot be used to access all your data remotely. That
>> only works if you have all AMT features enabled, and you have a special
>> device called a BMC card plugged into your computer and connected to the
>> network.
> The whole point of Intel AMT is that you CAN manage your computer remotely
> without it having a separate BMC plugged in (e.g. see [1]). AMT itself is in
> effect an integrated BMC by its own. After that the entire "well-written,
> rational response" falls apart, the author clearly has not even a single clue
> of what he's trying to talk about.
>
> [1]
> http://support.radmin.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/9/9/How-to-set-up-Intel-AMT-features

I'm no expert on Intel ME capabilities (by any stretch), but from the
little I read from more "professional" sources, it does provide ability
to remotely access computers.
Assuming they have the expertise & required data access to it. Those
professional sources could also have some things wrong, or partly
wrong.  Confirmed technical details on this topic aren't exactly
published on Intel's site.

If it gets to the point where it's common knowledge to every hacker how
to even partially misuse the ME, then Intel will have made a grave
business decision.  At that point, they'd have to discontinue it,
perhaps give refunds for unusable computers or issue permanent fixes -
to close the holes.  If it becomes common knowledge & they don't take
drastic action, they'd suffer tremendously.  That's not to say they
might not leave a better protected opening for government agencies.

What are all the countries - businesses, governments around the world
going to do?  Buy computers that are open books to even 1 or 2 top level
agencies of a few key "democratic" countries, much less hackers freely
trading (Intel ME) "Both the keys and the toolchain, as well as the
source code," as Podmo stated?
I doubt it.