[tor-talk] Multiple 404 ("Not found") when trying to fetch certificates for authorities

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Sat Dec 17 18:21:00 UTC 2016

Dimitar Milkov:
> From some time now, i'm getting warns in the Tor log about missing
> key certificates of authorities when the client is trying to obtain
> them from directory mirrors:
>
> WARN: Received http status code 404 ("Not found") from server
> '104.233.94.181:9001' while fetching
> "/tor/keys/fp/27B6B5996C426270A5C95488AA5BCEB6BCC86956".

Why are you sure that these are "certificates of authorities"? It seems
that this is just a fingerprint of a relay that is not in consensus
anymore and thus relays don't have the cert for it to serve over either
DirPort or begindir. But your client still has it (somehow).

> I'm using an old version of Tor (0.2.5.x) for various reasons.

This it really old. I'm curious about what are reasons behind it.
Please don't run relays on that old versions.

--
Ivan Markin