[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.9.7-rc is released: small changes, nearly done!

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Dec 12 13:23:29 UTC 2016

Hi, all!  I just tagged and uploaded Tor 0.2.9.7-rc.  The source is
available at the usual place in the website.  Other packages should be
available soon.  This Tor release will probably go into the hardened
TB series coming out in the next couple of days. (I hear that
0.2.9.6-rc will be in the regular alphas, since those builds froze a
little before I finished this Tor release.)

We're rapidly running out of serious bugs to fix in 0.2.9.x, so this
is probably the last release candidate before stable ... unless you
find bugs while testing!  Please try these releases, and let us know
if anything breaks.  Testing either 0.2.9.6-rc or 0.2.9.7-rc would be
quite helpful.

Changes in version 0.2.9.7-rc - 2016-12-12
  Tor 0.2.9.7-rc fixes a few small bugs remaining in Tor 0.2.9.6-rc,
  including a few that had prevented tests from passing on
  some platforms.

  o Minor features (geoip):
    - Update geoip and geoip6 to the December 7 2016 Maxmind GeoLite2
      Country database.

  o Minor bugfix (build):
    - The current Git revision when building from a local repository is
      now detected correctly when using git worktrees. Fixes bug 20492;
      bugfix on 0.2.3.9-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (directory authority):
    - When computing old Tor protocol line version in protover, we were
      looking at 0.2.7.5 twice instead of a specific case for
      0.2.9.1-alpha. Fixes bug 20810; bugfix on tor-0.2.9.4-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (download scheduling):
    - Resolve a "bug" warning when considering a download schedule whose
      delay had approached INT_MAX. Fixes 20875; bugfix on 0.2.9.5-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (logging):
    - Downgrade a harmless log message about the
      pending_entry_connections list from "warn" to "info". Mitigates
      bug 19926.

  o Minor bugfixes (memory leak):
    - Fix a small memory leak when receiving AF_UNIX connections on a
      SocksPort. Fixes bug 20716; bugfix on 0.2.6.3-alpha.
    - When moving a signed descriptor object from a source to an
      existing destination, free the allocated memory inside that
      destination object. Fixes bug 20715; bugfix on tor-0.2.8.3-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (memory leak, use-after-free, linux seccomp2 sandbox):
    - Fix a memory leak and use-after-free error when removing entries
      from the sandbox's getaddrinfo() cache. Fixes bug 20710; bugfix on
      0.2.5.5-alpha. Patch from "cypherpunks".

  o Minor bugfixes (portability):
    - Use the correct spelling of MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_12 on configure.ac
      Fixes bug 20935; bugfix on 0.2.9.6-rc.

  o Minor bugfixes (unit tests):
    - Stop expecting NetBSD unit tests to report success for ipfw. Part
      of a fix for bug 19960; bugfix on 0.2.9.5-alpha.
    - Fix tolerances in unit tests for monotonic time comparisons
      between nanoseconds and microseconds. Previously, we accepted a 10
      us difference only, which is not realistic on every platform's
      clock_gettime(). Fixes bug 19974; bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.
    - Remove a double-free in the single onion service unit test. Stop
      ignoring a return value. Make future changes less error-prone.
      Fixes bug 20864; bugfix on 0.2.9.6-rc.