[tor-talk] Self-deleting scripts in http connections

Rythyrix durindals917 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 00:34:45 UTC 2016

My apologies for lateness, had to life and determine the source of this
script.

A) I don't know the exit node I used in Tor, nor does it appear to be
relevant, in this case, because

B) I apologize for being unclear before, I was using Firefox, not Tor
Browser, and

C) Found the source of the script in question, turns out, it's added by
an addon I had downloaded. Location Guard, available here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/location-guard/

And source : https://github.com/chatziko/location-guard

I posted this to the tor-talk after someone on ZeroNet recommended I do so.

D) I cannot get this script to reproduce in Tor Browser, using either
the Location Guard addon or any of the myriad JS injector addons
available from the Firefox repo. Attempting to do so resulted in zero JS
on the page.

This sequence of events got me thinking; the exit node queries servers
on the behalf of the Tor Browser. Some sites simply cannot be connected
to via HTTPS. Thus, the exit node must query the site requested in HTTP,
which can be modified in transit. If done, what form of protections
could a MitM do between the site and the exit node bypass by, say,
inserting a CSS document that references an external JS script to force
a query from the browser?

Again, apologies for being insufficiently clear, I was slightly
panicking and thought it should be made known, just in case.