[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.9.6-rc is released.

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Fri Dec 2 16:17:25 UTC 2016

Hi, all!  There is a new release candidate for the Tor source code,
with numerous bugfixes.

You can download the source from the usual place on the website.
Packages should be up in a few days. This should appear in an alpha
TorBrowser release around December 14.

(There is also a concurrent release of Tor 0.2.8.10; for stable
announcements, please see tor-announce@ or the blog.)

Please test this one out: we hope it can become a stable release soon.

==================

Changes in version 0.2.9.6-rc - 2016-12-02
  Tor 0.2.9.6-rc fixes a few remaining bugs found in the previous alpha
  version. We hope that it will be ready to become stable soon, and we
  encourage everyone to test this release. If no showstopper bugs are
  found here, the next 0.2.9 release will be stable.

  o Major bugfixes (relay, resolver, logging):
    - For relays that don't know their own address, avoid attempting a
      local hostname resolve for each descriptor we download. This
      will cut down on the number of "Success: chose address 'x.x.x.x'"
      log lines, and also avoid confusing clock jumps if the resolver
      is slow. Fixes bugs 20423 and 20610; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (client, fascistfirewall):
    - Avoid spurious warnings when ReachableAddresses or FascistFirewall
      is set. Fixes bug 20306; bugfix on 0.2.8.2-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (hidden services):
    - Stop ignoring the anonymity status of saved keys for hidden
      services and single onion services when first starting tor.
      Instead, refuse to start tor if any hidden service key has been
      used in a different hidden service anonymity mode. Fixes bug
      20638; bugfix on 17178 in 0.2.9.3-alpha; reported by ahf.

  o Minor bugfixes (portability):
    - Work around a bug in the OSX 10.12 SDK that would prevent us from
      successfully targeting earlier versions of OSX. Resolves
      ticket 20235.
    - Run correctly when built on Windows build environments that
      require _vcsprintf(). Fixes bug 20560; bugfix on 0.2.2.11-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (single onion services, Tor2web):
    - Stop complaining about long-term one-hop circuits deliberately
      created by single onion services and Tor2web. These log messages
      are intended to diagnose issue 8387, which relates to circuits
      hanging around forever for no reason. Fixes bug 20613; bugfix on
      0.2.9.1-alpha. Reported by "pastly".

  o Minor bugfixes (unit tests):
    - Stop spurious failures in the local interface address discovery
      unit tests. Fixes bug 20634; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha; patch by
      Neel Chauhan.

  o Documentation:
    - Correct the minimum bandwidth value in torrc.sample, and queue a
      corresponding change for torrc.minimal. Closes ticket 20085.