[tor-talk] Bitmessage still alive?

carlo von lynX lynX at time.to.get.psyced.org
Sat Aug 20 06:51:52 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:16:32AM +0000, Jeremy Rand wrote:
> Looks like last update to their GitHub was 2 days ago:
> https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage/branches

Good.

> Of course, whether Bitmessage is a protocol that makes sense from an
> engineering perspective is an entirely orthogonal issue, which I've
> heard concerns raised about, but which I'm probably not qualified to
> make any statements on.

In the current situation I'd love to have some more empirical
data to put the metadata-protective systems in comparison to
each other, but there are too many unclear variables. How do
freemail and I2P-Bote compare? Are Tor's Pond and Ricochet
unaffected by the fingerprinting weakness and the architectural
dependency on a circle of friends deciding who is running
trustworthy nodes? I have no clear information that can help to
say that Bitmessage is less suitable than any of the above. A
subobtimal choice of crypto and an unproven strategy for anonymity
is not enough to say it is worse than other tools.