[tor-talk] A community concern that needs to be addressed,

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Fri Aug 19 01:17:48 UTC 2016

myzeus at openmailbox.org wrote:
> Their post seems to be somewhat political and based on recent events.
> The user's concern on the lack of technical posts makes a lot of
> sense. I feel like Tor has become increasingly user-friendly and the
> Tor Browser Bundle is by far less 'intimidating' to perform first time
> configuration than it was a few years ago. The lack of technical posts
> might concern some people. What are your thoughts on addressing the
> issue?

   When I was at HOPE in July, men and women were saying (to me at least)
that they were happy that Tor is progressing, that they think we're
growing as a community, and they look forward to volunteering.
Honestly, that makes me really fucking happy.  That's not really an
`identity politics` thing.  I would say that none of the people that I
spoke to who plan to volunteer had any past negative experiences with
any Tor peeps.  It's more a matter of seeing a terrible situation happen
(from afar) and then seeing it handled in a serious way.  It's been a
real rough patch for the community, but most everyone seems to be
handling it with grace and professionalism.  Things like that can
inspire confidence in a project's team, as weird as that probably
sounds.

   So: I'm happy that people aren't scared away, hope that people of all
genders will keep volunteering, and that everyone will eventually move
beyond this (perhaps to more technical topics).  People can always post
about a Tor-related project on this list and it may well make it to the
blog or twitter.  I mean, if someone posts a cool project here I'm
pretty likely to post it to my twitter stream =)

~Griffin

--
Accept what you cannot change, and change what you cannot accept.
PGP: 0x03cf4a0ab3c79a63