[tor-talk] Revolt Against Tor Over Rape Claims, Process, Board, Etc

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:07:17 UTC 2016

18.08.2016, 07:28 grarpamp:
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/765933853143859200
> 8:30 AM - 17 Aug 2016
> Tor revolt over rape claims...

Why wikileaks?

> https://twitter.com/shiromarieke/status/765634647485214720
> 12:41 PM - 16 Aug 2016
> Today I am quitting @torproject I published my letter to tor-internal here:
> https://shiromarieke.github.io/tor
> I am not exactly sure how to start this email. To be honest, I never
> imagined I'd ever be writing this kind of letter to Tor, a project I
> used to respect a lot and was very excited to contribute to. Having
> been almost totally silent on Tor-related topics on all public
> channels for the last months doesn't make it easier for me to talk
> today....

What did she work on?

> https://www.oneeyedman.net/?p=2581
> Posted on August 16, 2016 by dwrob
> My Letter To The Tor Project
> Dear Shari,
> As you know, police raided my Seattle home in April because I was
> operating a Tor exit. You and I have planned to discuss Tor’s response...
> Here are some of the issues that compel my decision...

Has anyone seen examples to confirm the following claim?

"A high-profile Tor developer is mocking and threatening Daniel
Bernstein, an eminent cryptographer of unblemished professional
reputation, calling him names on Twitter and alleging that his
judgment about technical issues is clouded because his supposed pet
pupil has supposedly been outed as a sexual predator."

> https://contraspin.co.nz/the-weaponising-of-social-part-3-the-resurrection-of-ioerror/
> August 16, 2016
> [...]

> http://rixstep.com/2/2/20160817,00.shtml
> http://rixstep.com/2/2/20160717,00.shtml
> 2016-08-17
> Tor 6.0.4
> Happenstance, coincidence, enemy action?
> Not that there's necessarily any connection to Jakegate (it can't be
> ruled out either) but the latest updates of Tor have been a
> frightening mess. Why does Tor suddenly dump over 30 megabloats of
> steaming faeces onto a file system on exit...

That's a good one. (Irony, folks, Irony)

> "I know other people at Tor and in the broader community have similar
> feelings, and I hope this will encourage them to speak up." --
> shiromarieke

I saw many people up in arms about the allegations before anything was
known.

I didn't know Jerk-Off [0] (I knew just the song Opiate [1], which
partly fits as well).

Jerk-off:
>> Use to be a bunch of assholes that lived in this part of the building here,
>> but we systematically removed them like you would any kind of termite or roach
>>
>> Someone told me once
>> that there's a right and wrong,
>> punishment would come to those
>> who dare to cross the line.
>>
>> But it must not be true
>> for jerk-offs just like you.
>> Maybe it takes longer to catch a total asshole.
>> but I'm tired of waiting.
>>
>> Someone told me once
>> that there's a right and wrong,
>> punishment would come to those
>> who dare to cross the line.
>>
>> But it must not be true
>> for jerk-offs just like you.
>>
>> Maybe it's just bullshit and I should play GOD,
>> and shoot you myself.
>> Because I'm tired of waiting.
>>
>> Consequences dictate
>> our course of action
>> and it doesn't matter what's right.
>> It's only wrong if you get caught.
>> If consequences dictate
>> my course of action
>> I should play GOD
>> and shoot you myself.
>> I'm very tired of waiting.
>>
>> I should
>> kick you,
>> beat you,
>> fuck you,
>> and then shoot you in your fucking head.

People are misinterpreting these lyrics very often. (Don't take it as
call to self-justice.)

At first I didn't not think the intro would make any sense in regard to
all this here, but maybe it does.

BTW, a revolt would make more noise, wouldn't it?

Cheerio,

[0] http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tool/jerkoff.html
[1] http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tool/opiate.html