[tor-talk] SELinux issue with Tor?

Jeremy Rand jeremyrand at airmail.cc
Mon Aug 15 02:22:57 UTC 2016

grarpamp:
> On 8/13/16, Jeremy Rand <jeremyrand at airmail.cc> wrote:
>> #zeronet IRC
>> I've obtained permission to post a partial chatlog.
>
> It's a public channel, on an insecure server, plugged into clearnet.
> Do you have any idea how many users, publicly accessible archives,
> corporate bots, and NSA drones, have and even publish a copy of IRC... lots.
> Permission has no relavant context there. Users believing public IRC is
> somehow transient, private, unrecorded, etc... that's downright foolish.
> If you want secrecy / deniability, etc, try using or developing something
> else, good luck, it's no easy task.

Lots of things are trivially easy and extremely common, that I choose
not to do out of politeness (not for security reasons).  Posting
chatlogs of other people is one of them.  No implication of
secrecy/deniability was intended.

>> I'm curious if this is intended behavior by Tor.  Chatlog below:
>> <pskosinski> According to SELinux tor wants to mount a filesystem on
>> /var/lib/tor, what sounds weiiiiird
>
> Most GNU/Linux are hard to learn due to unnecessary abstraction layers,
> thus time spent learning or gutting them first instead of learning unix.
> Learn more unix and the answer to the behavior will become obvious.
> The following links may be of help...
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
> http://www.freebsd.org/
> http://www.openbsd.org/
> https://www.google.com/?q=unix+introduction

I had never heard of this "Google" thing; are you telling me that all
the information of the world can be obtained by average me just by
figuring out what incantation of search terms to type in?

(Of course, perhaps a link to information that actually answers my
inquiry without me needing to guess the incantation would be even more
helpful.)

>> fiction -- I'm already aware that Tor isn't backdoored by the Pentagon
>
> Abject backdooring is different from selective funding to areas
> that are not a threat to the funder. It's been hashed to death...
> in the public archives, no permission needed.

Who said anything about selective funding?  I simply was aware that
there are a number of people who regularly accuse Tor of being
backdoored, and I wanted to make certain that my joke wasn't miscontrued
as one of those statements, since text-based communication is frequently
miscontrued.  As a developer who has decided not to pursue certain
funding sources due to "selective funding" issues that I find ethically
concerning, I am certainly well aware of those issues.

Cheers,
-Jeremy