[tor-talk] Am I successfully using Torsocks, SSH, and a VPS? Please advise, thanks!

blobby at openmailbox.org blobby at openmailbox.org
Tue Aug 9 16:58:46 UTC 2016

Please see below for my response to your helpful comments.

On 2016-08-08 11:18, Ben Tasker wrote:
> If you're using Firefox, one thing you want to consider is DNS leakage.
>
> If you go into about:config, see whether network.proxy.socks_remote_dns
> exists. If not create it and set to True.
>
> Without that, DNS won't use the tunnel. As you've got a VPN running
> it'll
> likely egress from the VPN endpoint instead.

Point taken. It did exist and was set to "true".

>> VPN ---> Torsocks (on 127.0.0.1) ---> SSH (bound to port 33333) --->
>> VPS
> ---> Internet.
>
> How do you pay for the VPS? If it's in your name (or can be linked to
> you)
> then all you're doing is preventing your local ISP from seeing what
> you're
> connecting to (which might, of course, be your aim). You do, in effect,
> have a fixed exit point though, so it's worth bearing in mind that in
> some
> ways it makes you more identifiable from the point of view of services
> you're connecting to.

Bitcoin is my friend! I appreciate that using a VPS with a static IP
does provide a fixed exit point.

I'm wondering if you feel, based on your expertise, that my system looks
secure (see below).

Thanks again.