[tor-talk] Tor protocol classification

Justin davisjustin002 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 19:01:03 UTC 2016

Hi,
I’ve been interested in Tor censorship for a few years now, and had some questions.
1. Can anyone give me a description of what Tor is doing during the following stages of bootstrapping:
A. 10% Finishing handshake with directory server.  What happens during the handshake and what makes it fingerprintable by a DPI box?
B. 20% Asking for network status consensus.  Same questions as A.
C. 45% Asking for relay descriptors.
D. 85% Finishing handshake with first hop.
E. 90% Establishing a Tor circuit.
The reason I picked these stages of bootstrapping is because they’re the places where Tor is recognized and blocked by DPI equipment from Cyberoam.  Keep in mind this is Vanilla Tor, no PT are used.
Thanks very much,
Justin.