[tor-talk] 12.7 percent of the domains I visit are intercepted by CloudFlare

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Sat Apr 23 20:11:08 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-04-23 at 19:56 +0200, Cain Ungothep wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Today I got an idea of how to measure "The CloudFlare problem". It turns
> > out that every time you visit a website that's behind CloudFlare a
> > cookie is set with the name __cfduid
> >
> > If you use Firefox these cookies end up in a SQLite database which can
> > be queried with the SQLite Manager add-on. My total number of cookies is
> > 2523 (I disable third-party cookies by default). CloudFlare cookies:
> > 321. So 321/2523 *100 = 12.7% of the domains I have visited are
> > monitored by CloudFlare.
>
> As stated, that conclusion is wrong.  In general, 1 cookie != 1 domain.  A
> site can set 0 or more cookies, and for differing (sub)domains.

Hmm, you are correct! This will probably mean that the situation is even
more shocking. The 2523 cookies do probably belong to far less domains.

Sites with 0 cookies are probably very rare so I do not think taking
this into account will change the outcome significantly.

If I have time I will do a proper calculation.

Thanks,

Rob.
https://hoevenstein.nl (A 100% cookie free website!)