[tor-talk] 1 Million People use Facebook over Tor

me at beroal.in.ua me at beroal.in.ua
Sat Apr 23 11:04:41 UTC 2016

On 23.04.16 07:09, juan wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:02:11 -0400
> Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:41:09AM +1000, Peter Tonoli wrote:
>>> This is a real success story for Tor
>> I agree!
>>
>> Thank you Alec and other security people at Facebook for seeing the
>> value in secure communications, and also for being willing to stand up
>> and talk about numbers.
>>
>> For those who are now thinking "wait, what's the point in using Tor
>> when going to Facebook?",
>
> 	Right, there isnt any. This is just your usual and stupid
> 	propaganda. Now go get a few more grants from the
> 	pentagon.

My little story. Facebook banned me after a month of use. I never logged
in via Tor. I was not told the reason for the ban. I guess it's because
I didn't use my real name. Anyhow, thank you for providing us your Onion
website! :-)

> Then suddenly Iran blocked Facebook, a good chunk of the Persian
> Facebook population switched over to reaching Facebook via Tor, and he
> became a huge Tor fan because otherwise those users would have been cut
> off.
The thing is that Tor is bad for circumventing censorship because Tor is
not a masked proxy. Guess what will happen when Facebook rulers realize
this.