[tor-talk] New methods / research to detect add-ons?

pacifica at riseup.net pacifica at riseup.net
Tue Sep 29 16:46:33 UTC 2015

Spencer,

The closest thing I'm aware of to a one-stop-shop to view the factors of
your fingerprint would be Valve's fingerprint.js library:

https://github.com/Valve/fingerprintjs2

It's definitely not sophisticated enough to meet most Tor users' needs,
but it's a good start. It's also well documented and can easily be run
locally.

To answer your question:

> With this logic, TorBrowser users could select a unique set of add-ons
> each session, correct?

It's important to consider TBB's design... which is to make _all_ Tor
Browser Bundle users look identical. This provides strong anonymity
amongst other TBB users. It does not hide the fact that you're using Tor
or the TBB, but attempts to hide you within the group to make each
individual difficult to uniquely track. This is also the reason for the
recent roll-out of the per-domain circuits, because third-party trackers
could collude to correlate traffic and de-anonymize Tor users that way.
This is also why Tor Project released the "slider" to pick from a
handful of pre-defined security/privacy levels. Because of indirect
detection of the myriad of potential browser configurations, individual
configurations could inadvertently make people quite unique. So the
slider helps to coalesce the potentially huge number of combinations to
single digits, assuming that most people will be comfortable with a
provided setting.

First, the default configuration of TBB is sufficient to make
cross-session fingerprinting and tracking difficult (not impossible,
especially if JS is enabled, but that has trade-offs of its own).
Installing unique add-ons each session, would make tracking across
sessions a little more difficult (albeit probably easier than the
default TBB config since you would be, once again, unique...), at the
expense of being unique during that session.

That practice would be almost universally discouraged, except perhaps
for some imaginative fringe cases.

I think it's well known and understood that "adding add-ons to TBB" =
"bad for anonymity", but I'd prefer to know "how bad", instead of just a
binary good / bad.

Perhaps this want to know more resonates with others, and will warrant
some research if it's not already been undertaken.

All the best,

pacifica