[tor-talk] New methods / research to detect add-ons?

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Tue Sep 29 16:22:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

> aka:
> Every add-on installed/not installed gives you one more bit of
> detection.
>
> If [x] records you visiting an internet forum via TBB and
> leaking something and detect another visitor with the same 3 bits set
> looking for a train schedule, they can verify with a high confidence
> you posted that message and live in that area.
> That's why it's important that every TBB installation has the same
> Http-Header values and same add-ons.

With this logic, TorBrowser users could select a unique set of add-ons
each session, correct?

> You don't need any studies, it's simple common knowledge.

I second the request for some documented research, even if we do it
ourselves.  The first thought I had was a way for people to verify their
identity by seeing their fingerprint by visiting a website, or something
close to what others might be looking for, though this could also be an
off-line thing.

Wordlife,
Spencer