[tor-talk] New methods / research to detect add-ons?

pacifica at riseup.net pacifica at riseup.net
Tue Sep 29 15:44:44 UTC 2015

Thanks aka -- I'm familiar with the conventional wisdom that add-ons
make you more unique... but I am really looking for any formal study or
code PoC that perhaps identifies more direct methods of detecting
add-ons. Perhaps it's different for every add-on, and it probably is,
especially considering some add-ons may not be reviewed for
security/privacy at all. So some library would probably need to be
compiled and maintained to try to exhaustively detect all known add-ons,
similar to fingerprint.js.

The current logic (AFAIK) would be: if websiteA.com hasn't developed a
detection technique for Add-On-X, then it can't detect it. I suspect
add-ons could be detected more directly, but I have not seen any study
or code to support that yet.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that TBB's design logic is flawed here at
all -- I know it's not, and I can think of a _lot_ of reasons why, a
couple of which you listed. Anything that distinguishes you from "the
herd" is "bad" to the extent it doesn't catastrophically compromise your
security.

But I'm still looking for something a bit more formal in terms of
discussing a quantitative, or pseudo-quantitative impact on anonymity /
privacy by add-on detection either in code PoC or academic research...

Thank you for your reply. I completely agree with TP's position on
add-ons and often advocate for the same. Just playing devil's
advocate... :)

Thanks,

pacifica