[tor-talk] tor + twitter issues

Colin Mahns colinmahns at riseup.net
Tue Sep 15 03:56:33 UTC 2015

* Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> [2015-09-14 20:27:34 -0700]:

>If you have Bitcoin, you can buy some SMS numbers for getting out of
>this lockout without giving up your real phone number:
>http://receivesmsonline.com/buynumbers
>
>That service also has free numbers available on their front page:
>http://receivesmsonline.com/, but those are likely to already be
>flagged/overused. Also, you might risk getting your account
>extra-special-locked by trying to use a free one that Twitter knows
>about.

Heh, did not know about these, bookmarking in case of emergency. For
what it's worth, I think Google Voice also used to give out a free phone
number for a while, but I can't remember if they are still doing this.
It's been a few years since I've used that service.

>> Does anyone on this list has contacts in Twitter who might be open to
>> talking with the community, can you ask them to join this list? I really
>> would love to see this issue resolved along with my account not being
>> locked out.
>
>Yeah, maybe. However, once a company starts down this path, it tends to
>become entrenched beyond all rational thought. I am not optimistic that
>Twitter will be any different.

I was thinking that someone might know the the equivalent of Alec
Muffet at Twitter. Someone who might be able help from the inside with
lobbying for Tor-tolerant or Tor-embracing policies at Twitter. Of
course this will still be a slow, uphill, and painful battle to try to
have someone listen...

>Welcome to the Nymwars 2.0!

You can pry my nyms from my cold dead hands Mike ;)