[tor-talk] Introducing KroTor

Deepankar Tyagi deepankar7tyagi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:56:08 UTC 2015

Thanks for the prompt reply,
I have commented inline.

Regards.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Deepankar Tyagi
> <deepankar7tyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone!,
> >
> > I recently finished my GSOC project in which I ported Tor codebase to
> > chrome's native client (also ported libevent).
> > This enables tor's official C codebase to run inside Chrome browser as an
> > app, it creates a system wide (tor)socks proxy at port 9999.
> >
> > The app has been published on webstore ( all relevant links are at end of
> > mail)
> >
> > Currently it lacks a functional GUI ie ability to add proxy settings,
> > modify proxy port etc; I am working on it and next version will have one.
> >
> > Any feedback and suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > (Apologies if I sent the mail to wrong mailing list)
>
> Interesting stuff.  I'm hoping nobody tries to use this as a
> TorBrowser substitute, but it's a neat piece of engineering.

Thanks for pointing this out, I will include this warning/info in the app
and description on webstore.

> Have you considered submitting your patches upstream?

As of now, there is not much which needs to be changed in tor's codebase.

Currently, sometimes post build test fail when compiled against some NaCl
toolchains,
I have de - prioritized that issue for now, in order to focus on making app
more
user friendly, once all small quirks are sorted out, will send a pull
request.

One can read about all the issues here :
https://codereview.chromium.org/1311703003/diff/1/ports/tor/README.nacl