[tor-talk] Tor Messenger Beta: Chat over Tor, Easily

Harmony harmony01 at riseup.net
Sat Oct 31 20:58:25 UTC 2015

karsten.n at mailbox.org:
> Hi,
>
>> What pros and cons does it have in comparision with TorChat?
>
> Tor user may use TorChat or the successor Ricochet for chatting. It works
> server-less. TorChat offers file transfer. This feature I'm missing in
> Ricochet and TorMessenger.

You could try OnionShare:

https://onionshare.org/

TorChat (which as its developer points out is not connected with the Tor
Project in any way) last saw an update in January 2014, so unless they
presciently solved all possible bugs and exploits with their last
release, you should probably not be using it. As far as I understand,
Ricochet supersedes it entirely apart from the file-transfer aspect.

The use-case of Tor Messenger is different, as you say.