[tor-talk] Tor Browser: playing videosHi

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Oct 25 09:54:05 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 10:21:57AM +0100, Hartmut Haase wrote:
> >Hi,
> >in Xubuntu 14.04Ican play videos with the Tor Browser, in Xubuntu 15.04
> >not. The only differencd I see is that the Tor Browser in 14.04 uses
> >Shockwave Flash Plugin

I hope this isn't true? If it is -- that is, if Tor Browser on that
platform is willing to find and use the flash plugin -- please submit
a bug report with enough details for the Tor Browser folks to reproduce
the issue. Especially be sure to tell us which version of Tor Browser
you're using.

> >, but not in in 15.04. And I don't find how to get
> >it into the Tor Browser- If you search for it in the add-ons it is not
> >listed. Anyone asny idea?

It is a feature, not a mistake, that it's missing. Flash is bad news for
your privacy, so Tor Browser takes many different steps to make sure it
isn't found, doesn't work even if it is found, etc.

(And it's not just privacy -- Flash is a mess in terms of code security
too.)

> For Windows there is no problem at all. You just install the Adobe
> Flash Player an all browsers know about ist.

Have you actually tested this? It should not be the case.

> For Linux the
> installation instructions say:
> Copy libflashplayer.so to the appropriate browser plugins directory.
> At the prompt type:
> 		+ cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation>
> But where is the BrowserPluginsLocation for the Tor Browser?

Yeah, don't do this -- Tor Browser will work hard to not run it even if
you stick it in that directory.

--Roger