[tor-talk] I can't use Tor via "obfs3" or other methods.

Cubed chasintail at emailcontrol.org
Mon Oct 19 23:17:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 00:05:49 +0000
isis <isis at torproject.org> wrote:

Aloha isis,

Thanks for your input; you and I had the exact same thoughts on the
matter. I agree, it's odd, and I was wrong to assume the problem was a
hardware issue, ultimately. Some details that are relevant and were
left out of my original response:

- Workstations, whether laptop of desktop (predominately laptops
  though), were all being used as Tails hosts.
- The TBB, run in whatever nix flavor, and I even think weird OS's like
  Windows, was perfectly capable of running OBFS4 bridges.

The workstations are not all physically in my reach and I have only
recently acquired a laptop that showed the problem. So once I was
finally able to control for the above variables, I found that, if
anything, it's a Tails-centric issue.

The problem was replicatable on a variety of public and private
networks. Ultimately, I don't think the ISPs had anything to do with
it; it's not a censorship issue as far as I can tell. Based on where
it hangs, and the eventual work around I figured out, I think the
problem might have something to with building the initial Tor
directory. I almost feel like writing that as a question, to
communicate that I have not grokked the entire Tor circuit building
routine.

But, in every case, OBFS3 bridges worked. So eventually I tossed in
one OBFS3 bridge along with a few OBFS4. Voila, Tor directory builds
off the OBFS3 bridge (as it appears in the logs and through viewing
the network map), and OBFS4 bridges are utilized immediately after.
Cancel the OBFS3 connection, and nothing changes; so the OBFS3 bridge
just needed to be there for the initial circuit building.

And, if the Tails drive has persistence enabled with network
configuration saved, the problem seems to eventually stop altogether.

Personally, I'm surprised practically no one else has reported similar
experiences (I follow the tails mailing list as well). It would seem to
me that Tails is doing something different than the TBB that results in
the bug. Which is plausible; Tails still uses Vidalia, which was
deprecated elsewhere a while back. Vidalia, in Tails, is basically a
hack that acts as an abstraction layer between the user and her torrc.
Also, while OBFS4 sounds like the latest version of OBFS, implying that
the two protocols are similar, 3 and 4 are actually quite different. 4
being closer to scramblesuit or something.

Anyways, I've contributed the experience, I hope it saves someone an
hour or two and helps them gain a pint or three! I gotta get back to
figuring out how this baffling Windows registry works...

3