[tor-talk] Tor

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Wed Oct 14 19:41:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 04:42:07PM +0200, aka wrote:
> US Navy wanted a mesh network for their ships so an adversary couldn't
> determine by passively listening what ship is the flagship.

In a word, No. That was not an application we had in mind when we
proposed looking at the question of how to separate identification
from routing in web and other low-latency Internet communication.  The
scientific/technical ideas and the application ideas we had arose
together chicken-and-egg fashion, and I'd be hard pressed to say which
ideas we thought of first. But in any case this was not one of them.

For more details please read "A Peel of Onion", which you can find at
https://www.acsac.org/2011/program/keynotes/

HTH,
Paul