[tor-talk] Accessing Cloudflare sites on TBB

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Sat Oct 3 04:08:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Virgil Griffith:
> For unrelated reasons I'm meeting with Cloudflare.  Can someone
> enlighten
> me on the current state of the captcha situation?

They suck (time and energy).  They seem to only come in robot
discrimination form.

> Presuming they are unwilling to completely drop the captcha, what would
> be
> a step in the right direction?
>
> What is a step they can take right now for improving Tor user
> experience?

Thanks for doing this.  Here are some thoughts:

• Have them keep a "for everybody" version of what current IP threat
scores are, like on a dedicated webpage, as well as provide the criteria
with which they determine the number that gets a defined security level
(They might do something similar, but I couldn't find it).  Basically,
as much as they will publish.  A block chain might  be useful here, IDK.

• For those without JS the text-only captchas are often too difficult.
It would be nice if they implemented something more visual, like with
their JS captchas.  Something cool like what George Kadianakis was
considering for another purpose[0] would be fun.

• They could just not use JS at all.  I am sure they could do cool,
usable stuff with PHP, Pearl, or something.  IDK, maybe not.

• See if they have any research on this [1].

• If they can detect the previous site visited, or other tabs open,
using this, or other human-like tells, to verify that visitors are
"Human" would be nice.

• Also, as a Cloudflare user, having security level 'Off' actually
function as off would be nice, instead of "off will act only against the
most grievous offenders".

• And not having their transparency available only in a fragmented
series of blog posts [2].

I hope some of this can provide value :)

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-August/009302.html