[tor-talk] Making TBB undetectable!

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Thu Oct 1 17:07:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> behnaz Shirazi:
>> a Tor user who temporarily use a natural
>> fingerprint to become undetectable for a while won't deanonymize
>> itself nor the rest of other Tor users who use a detectable version of
>> TBB because when a natural fingerprint is used once then there will be
>> no enough information available for data miners to link pseudonyms for
>> deanonymization,

Is a 'Natural Fingerprint' like a clearnet fingerprint, in that it
identifies you as a regular, non-tor, internet user, making you part of
the larger herd?

>> and for sure Tor users who need undetectability won't
>> use the undetectablizer Add-on all the time hence detectable TBB users
>> won't become unique.

I see this as a blocker, as this add-on is most likely detectable, yeah?
  If not, how, in the same, less, or maybe a bit more, amount of
resources do you feel this could be accomplished?  Manually, this
becomes quite the task as time progresses.  Is this something that would
be added to a mail [something], like OpenPGP or TorBirdy are, because I
feel like this would be detectable somehow, too.

> Ben Tasker:
> Used once, sure. But over time, it's likely going to get used more than
> once,

This seems to be part of the design, as one-of-a-kind fingerprints,
through Tor exits or not, are detectable, though probably not
identifiable.

> unless you're planning on inserting some sort of randomisation to try
> and prevent that (by making some aspect different each session),

Randomization, or some one click equivalent, is the only real option
here when usability is considered; the manual effort each session is
undesirable at the very least :)

> using "UnidentifiableMode"

'UnidentifiableMode' sounds like a good working name for such a feature.

> Making something "Undetectable"
> is very, very hard as your margin for error is 0 (because 0.01 gives
> something that someone could use to make it identifiable). Making
> something
> common so you can blend into the crowd makes it easier to avoid
> (potentially) costly mistakes.

Making people blend into the crowd of regular internet users is best but
only if we resolve the traffic source; i.e., Tor exits.

> Blending into the crowd is not without it's value.

But surely some of these fingerprints will be shared by real users.  So,
it seems like a reasonable request, should we resolve the usability and
*traffic issues.

Wordlife,
Spencer