[tor-talk] What's up with my node?

Michael McConville mmcconv1 at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Nov 24 05:31:08 UTC 2015

Tyler Hardin wrote:
> I calculated 200KB/s to be about half my monthly allowance, so I have
> 150KB/s in my torrc. (Or at least I thought I did.)
>
> RelayBandwidthRate 150 KBytes  # Throttle traffic to 150KB/s (1200Kbps)
> RelayBandwidthBurst 800 KBytes # But allow bursts up to 800KB (6400Kb)

This is too little. Think about how much bandwidth a single user
can/should use when downloading a big file. A common and understandable
mistake, though (I've been there).

The best option is usually to set a monthly bandwidth limit with
AccountingMax and AccountingStart. The Tor daemon will disable itself
when the limit is reached, and enable when the monthly start time
passes. Until the limit is reached, it won't throttle bandwidth at all.