[tor-talk] twitter tor block redux

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Nov 14 12:55:24 UTC 2015

On 11/14/2015 05:00 AM, Andreas Krey wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 03:45:42 +0000, Mirimir wrote:
>> If you must use Twitter via Tor,
>
> No, I just don't want to use twitter directly
> from workboxes etc.
>
> Here it seems a bit of an interaction between
> tweetdeck and twitter itself. Tweetdeck
> lets me in but not post, and when I log
> into the original twitter UI it tells
> me to change password. I don't know
> whether there is a time where posting
> doesn't work but I'm not told to change
> PW either and just cannot post.
>
> Stupid but bearable, all in all.

I've had the same experience. It's probably just a Tweetdeck bug.

>> you can setup a VPS with a minimal LXDE
>> desktop and VNC onion service.
>
> I've already done something similar. There
> is a hosting (shell account, actually) provider
> here in germany who accepts payments via mail,
> which means I can do ssh -D via tor to there,
> and use their IP towards twitter. Account
> was stable.
>
> Andreas

Yes, there's a lot less latency with that approach. I was thinking about
using a private VPN via Tor, perhaps as an onion service. But then I got
into the idea of decoupling local-VPS traffic from VPS-Twitter traffic.
To make traffic confirmation harder.