[tor-talk] Making a Site Available as both a Hidden Service and on the www - thoughts?

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Sun May 17 19:31:58 UTC 2015

> Don't forget the "decreasing load and reliance on exit relays"
> benefit, in case we arrive in that dismal future where it grows
> increasingly hard to operate exit relays in a diverse and
> well-dispersed set of locations.
>
> --Roger

I think I suggested this a while ago regarding the update mechanism of
the Tor Browser to do it across a set of .onion's (perhaps hardcoded)
operated by Tor Project and maybe some mirrors by volunteers like
myself and Moritz. The signature check can be a double layer of
security but generally across .onions does make it all the better in
all aspects. Yes using a hidden service does increase overall network
load with the additional circuit length, but afaik using an onion will
avoid exits unless neccersary (please correct if I am wrong on this)
and really therefore only use the under-utilised smaller middle relays.

I already added a number of onions for my services which are
accessible and so pushing for others to do the same would be welcome
company. Renaming hidden services is all well and great, but so long
as illegal services are notorious with no legal services to challenge
that misconception, we're just beating around the bush. Alec has done
a great job with Facebook and so has Blockchain, but such a handful of
people like ourselves won't change much. Anyone with contacts within
Twitter or heck, even Disconnect/StartPage, would be great to patch
them through to here. In the mean time, I shall start petitioning a
few other outlets to add a hidden service to their available means of
access.

- --
Activist, anarchist and a bit of a dreamer.
Keybase: https://keybase.io/thomaswhite

PGP Keys: https://www.thecthulhu.com/pgp-keys/
Current Fingerprint: BA81 407C BD61 CD15 E5D9 ADA9 5FA2 426F F34E 0FD4
Master Fingerprint: DDEF AB9B 1962 5D09 4264 2558 1F23 39B7 EF10 09F0

Twitter: @CthulhuSec
XMPP: thecthulhu at jabber.ccc.de
XMPP-OTR: 77E6C8C6 95FDE863 1172A1E1 8C114C01 691398AC