[tor-talk] 100-Foot Overview on Tor

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Sun May 10 03:14:36 UTC 2015

On 6 May 2015 at 07:55, David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> wrote:
> On 06 May (19:28:38), teor wrote:
>> Page 20:
>> Can you explain why you say that consensuses are valid for 24 hours, and not 3 hours?
>
> Indeed, according to dir-spec.txt, see section "1.4 Voting timeline",
> there is an explanation. The current tor code actually randomize some of
> those values to be in a specific range that is not more than 3 hours
> (iirc).

I believe that most places actually use the below function however:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/networkstatus.c#n1041

When I was talking with many of the DirAuths in Valencia, they said
that a 24-hour outage was necessary for the consensus to be well and
truly out of date.  I pointed out that wasn't what the consensus said,
but they insisted, and then I found this code.

>> Page 113:
>> I think there are 3 relays between the client and introduction point, not 2.
>> In new_route_len(), each circuit with an endpoint chosen by another relay gets an extra hop, and the hidden service chooses the introduction point, not the client.
>>
>> I could be wrong about this - the path code has a few special cases that I haven't quite got my head around.
>
> Yes you are right. Not only that but if the first introduction point
> fails (client side), the circuit is re-extended to the second intro
> point and so on until it works or the the maximum limit of 7 hops is
> reached.
>
> That's maybe a bit too deep to explain in the slides so I guess 4 hops
> Client <-> Intro is good enough. :)

Yea, the extension quirk I think is a bit much, but I fixed the number
of hops - now that I think about it closer, 3 makes more sense.

On 9 May 2015 at 12:35, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
>> It's (now) http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
>
> I looked but don't yet see that noted in the first or last slides.
>
> It would need to be editable for people to incorporate and tune
> the "text" to their audience. Images and pdf format are not text.
> I'd just post the source and pdf on your site for people to find.

Fixed, and redirects updated.

-tom