[tor-talk] Codename: TorBirdy

Lara lara.tor at emails.veryspeedy.net
Sat May 9 18:30:33 UTC 2015

Vincent Schouten [info]:
> I guess it worked because after I started TBB (by clicking the desktop
> application "start-tor-browser.desktop") and then Thunderbird+Birdy, my
> mails were sent in plain txt and no errors were raised. However, how can
> I validate that the emails were actually sent over the TOR network?

You send them without Tor running. And examine the output.

> Perhaps by looking into the source details of the email message at the
> receiver's end?

That too.

> Last question: I might consider to use the system-installed Tor as
> opening the Tor Browser every time that you want to send emails is a
> little bit 'inefficient'.

Keeping a service that you barely use on is also a waste of resources.

> @Pacifica, what is your recommendation and is there any extended
> documentation about how to use the system version? A step-by-step would
> be helpful. Thank you for your time.

It is the same thing. Just a different process listening to different ports.

NB: if using Tor is your goal everything above is more than enough. If
you want/need privacy you'd better use a new/clean profile at least.