[tor-talk] Why is there a huge gap between Total BW retrieved by Stem, Total shown on Tor Metrics and in http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sun Mar 29 22:57:30 UTC 2015

On 03/29/2015 06:07 PM, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> Relays report a bandwidth history in their extra-info descriptors.
> You'll have to sum up all values for a given day to obtain the daily
> total and compute the daily average.  But beware of duplicates.  I'm
> afraid this is not exactly trivial to compute using Stem.

I want to stress this point, because I've seen that mistake in a number
of scripts meant to calculate the average speed of a relay. You can't
simply add up all the values from all descriptors of a day and divide by
24! One of the scripts that I think does it correctly is
https://github.com/torservers/exitstats/ by waaaaargh.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/