[tor-talk] Tor on OpenBSD 5.6

Seth list at sysfu.com
Mon Mar 23 07:56:49 UTC 2015

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:42:55 -0700, davidx <drhardy84 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There were no specific download instructions for BSD on the Tor download
> page that I noticed.  The header is for Linux and BSD there.  I would
> gladly
> write them up if I can get this to work.

I can see your point. For a newcomer visiting the download page, it would
not be entirely clear which version to download for use with *BSD.

Here's some commands to get you started

mkdir /usr/local/src; cd /usr/local/src
ftp -o - http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/LibreSSL/libressl-2.1.6.tar.gz
| sudo pax -rvz
cd libressl-2.1.6; sudo ./configure; sudo make check; sudo make install
sudo rm /usr/sbin/openssl /usr/local/src/libre*; sudo ln -s
/usr/local/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl

cd /usr/local/src; ftp -o -
https://dist.torproject.org/tor-0.2.5.11.tar.gz | sudo pax -rvz
cd tor-0.2.5.11; sudo -s; env CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure --disable-asciidoc --sysconfdir=/etc;
make ; make install

sudo cp /etc/tor/torrc.sample /etc/tor/torrc; sudo vi /etc/tor/torrc