[tor-talk] Are webmail providers biased against Tor?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Mar 17 18:48:07 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-16 21:20, grarpamp wrote:
>> block Tor completely since I don't have any legitimate traffic from Tor.
> This is funny since some of use just spent the entire day
> reading wikipedia, communicating via email, logged in to work,
> talking to friends, donating via bitcoin and generally surfing the web.

If you'd quote properly instead of cutting the context, you'd note that
I absolutely did not say I block Tor completely, nor was I suggesting
doing so.

What I did say is that good users GET LUMPED IN WITH THE BAD simply
because there's no way to tell them apart. That's the whole point of
Tor, and TBB in particular.

>> it's the fact that a higher percentage of abuse comes from Tor
> Ahem, objective citation as to all tor users please, thank you.

That's the whole point -- Not all Tor users are abusive, but abusers
tend toward Tor because of the fact that it provides anonymity and human
shields in one package. That's just the nature of the game. The result
is that connections from Tor will be treated with suspicion. For
example, Google will put you through additional validation steps on a
more regular basis since it can't tell if you are you, or you are some
other Tor user who borrowed your password.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/