[tor-talk] Are webmail providers biased against Tor?

blobby at openmailbox.org blobby at openmailbox.org
Mon Mar 16 10:52:56 UTC 2015

I have noticed that when I try to login to my Gmail or Hotmail accounts
with Tor, I invariably get asked to validate myself (e.g. receive an
SMS). This is understandably due my IP being in a different country from
the "usual" IPs that I use to sign in.

However, I have experimented with StrictExitNodes. I am in New York and
have used a number of New York exit nodes. I still get asked to verify.

I am wondering if Tor developers or experienced users know (for a fact)
whether or not this is "normal" or whether using an exit node
automatically makes Gmail and Hotmail think that a "hacker" is
attempting to access the accounts.

This is not a case of a website e.g. Craigslist blocking Tor. It is
whether the use of an exit node IP automatically engenders scrutiny from
whatever security algorithms certain webmail providers use.