[tor-talk] Revoking a hidden service key

Adrien Johnson adrienj at adrienj.com
Tue Mar 3 18:50:04 UTC 2015

Putting a passphrase on the master secret key (in the current system)
would protect from theft if the hidden service is offline. But if the
service is online, the master secret key needs to be stored decrypted in
memory so the hidden service can sign and publish its updated
descriptors. If the hidden service is compromised while running,
attackers would just steal the decrypted key from memory and not bother
with the encrypted one  in the filesystem. So unfortunately an RSA
passphrase does not provide as much extra security as we would like.

-Adrien