[tor-talk] Fixing the problem of sending email from Tor: Proof of Work based system

malte at wk3.org malte at wk3.org
Mon Mar 2 22:41:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:28:28 -0500
"l.m" <ter.one.leeboi at hush.com> wrote:

> The emails can
> still be  tampered with by a misconfiguration of sending client (using
> TLS Wrapper  instead of STARTTLS and being forced to fallback to
> insecure  communications by traffic manipulation).

This could be mitigated by configuring the mailserver to require TLS, couldn't it?

Also a thought that just came to me: Taking mailserver which are configured to deliver via hidden services as described in https://www.void.gr/kargig/blog/2014/05/10/smtp-over-hidden-services-with-postfix/ but make the hidden services use HidServAuth and HiddenServiceAuthorizeClient to exclude spammers.

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 11:19:08 -0800
Mike Ingle <mike at confidantmail.org> wrote:

> That email system, with built in Tor support and proof of work based
> anti-spam, has already been built.
> Get it here:
> http://www.confidantmail.org

On the website it says that it is "non-SMTP", but naif's requirement was to sent out SMTP mail in the end, wasn't it? So how would that work?

Sincerely,

Malte