[tor-talk] Creation of TOR Linux distribution for relay or server with everything preconfigured

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Fri Jun 26 09:25:04 UTC 2015

   Most of the configuration (at least in my case) has to do with
deciding on the right speed for the relay and setting a bandwidth cap.
And when using a VPS, I set "AccountingMax" and "AccountingStart" to
stay within my expected billing range.  So I would say that would
present the biggest issue for me with regards to having optimal settings
for something preconfigured.

   However, you can make a relay just by configuring your torrc file (in
/etc/tor) and then restarting tor.  Here's a basic torrc file for a
relay:

#####
Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
RunAsDaemon 1  # Run Tor in the background
DataDirectory /var/lib/tor # required
ORPort 9001 # required
Nickname relayname # Name your relay!
AccountingMax 960 GB # only pass up to 960gb...
AccountingStart month 3 15:00 # ...per month
ExitPolicy reject *:* # no exits allowed
#####

   Once you have your torrc file configured, run the command: sudo -u
debian-tor tor.