[tor-talk] Tor birdy fails downloading public keys.

Sophie Hassfurther sophie at sophiehassfurther.com
Thu Jun 25 12:34:48 UTC 2015

Hi Lluis,

I suppose you are using the Enigmail add-on. In the Torbirdy wiki [0]
the developers state that
"Enigmail is supported and is safe to use with TorBirdy (...) but you
will not be able to use Enigmail for communicating with keyservers until
we find a HTTP -> SOCKS5 shim."
The idea is to not leak location information. Disabling TorBirdy to
fetch the keys kind of defeats that purpose.

There are two workarounds that I know of, if you want/have to use
keyservers:

1) Look up the key manually, check fingerprint, copy the long block of
clipboard.
Now go to your mail program, choose Enigmail -> manage keys -> edit ->
import key from clipboard.

2) use gpg with curl support (Linux/OSX only). This is explained in the
TorBirdy wiki as well [0]
Scroll down to Additional Add-Ons -> Enigmail.

Cheers
Sophie

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy

--