[tor-talk] do Cloudfare captchas ever work?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Jun 21 01:42:12 UTC 2015

On 06/20/2015 12:31 AM, Andreas Krey wrote:

"The last weeks I was usually getting the number photo captchas,
and they work. Last week there were more of the hard two word
captchas, but even these usually work - sometimes I just reload
the page and then I often get a number captcha."

Thanks.  Yes, I've gotten the "house numbers" (4 digits) - many times.
They're very legible, but still don't work (TB 4.5.1 / 4.5.2 - Windows).
When I enter them, Cloudfare doesn't give any message, just a new
captcha image.

Sometimes, it shows another 4 digits - still clear.  Then another & another.
After a few times, it may switch to the letters on an acid trip.
Even when I can read all the letters, it still doesn't take.
After the 1st attempt or 2, it also may change the instructions to a non
English language.  I assume based on exit relay location.

In Firefox, I can usually get similar looking captchas to work -
especially if it's not from Cloudfare.

Which "out of the box browser" do you mean?  I've tried clean installs
of TB before w/ default settings.
Don't remember having any better luck w/ Cloudfare.

To get it to work, are you allowing 1st and / or 3rd party cookies - for
both the target site & whatever the URL is for the Cloudfare captcha page?
I wonder if the OS makes a difference to Cloudfare?

On 6/20/2015 3:18 AM, Mirimir wrote:
> Is Javascript always needed to get the number photo CAPTCHAs?
I think it may be (or used to be so).
IIRC, in Firefox, if NoScript wasn't set to allow all scripts (possibly
1st & 3rd party), sometimes I couldn't see all elements on the captcha page.