[tor-talk] "Tor Browsers" on SourceForge

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Mon Jun 8 11:13:23 UTC 2015

On 6/7/15 12:29 PM, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>   Andrew and others have asked for these to be taken down in the past.
> Most listings are shady and likely contain malware.  I contacted the
> developer of the first listing last year [1] but he never responded.
> While SourceForge might not care about malware*, large US-based
> companies usually care about copyright and trademark violations (which
> was a solid legal basis for Andrew to request takedown).

I'd love to take care of fixing this issue.

I think that a detailed analysis of such kind of abuse by
"torproject.sf.net" is the first thing to work on, including past
evidence of more aggressive copyright violations, now always heavily
misleading.

Knowing all the previous inquiry that has been done (dates, contact
persons, answers) by Tor Project would be very useful.

With such data analyzed:

a) ask for the project to be temporarily taken down by asking to remove
any kind of occurrence of terminology and/or graphics that may be
misleading in cheating the user

b) handover the project name "torbrowser" to Tor Project, that will

I've been told by a good friend at SourceForge, to which i'd like to
present such an analysis + request for action, that they are also going
to deploy https across all the mirrors for software download.

Time to fix this!

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights