[tor-talk] "Tor Browsers" on SourceForge

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sun Jun 7 10:29:38 UTC 2015

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists wrote:
> Given that there could be sketchy reasons to distribute Tor Browser
> unofficially and that Tor it's a copyright of Tor Project, shouldn't
> the
> Tor Project ask to SourceForge to act to:
>
> a) Or Remove those project
>
> b) Or ask to change name and remove any occurrence of "Tor" in the name
> of the projects, title, sub descriptions that may lead to misleading
> interpretation that "this is tor browser"

   Andrew and others have asked for these to be taken down in the past.
Most listings are shady and likely contain malware.  I contacted the
developer of the first listing last year [1] but he never responded.
While SourceForge might not care about malware*, large US-based
companies usually care about copyright and trademark violations (which
was a solid legal basis for Andrew to request takedown).

   I'm not super sure where to go from there though.  This might be a
better question for Wendy Seltzer.

~Griffin

[1] Who is apparently a Belarusian dev named Sergey Varankevich
* https://twitter.com/cooperq/status/603615948357132288