[tor-talk] Invaded by disconnect.me

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Jun 2 02:06:47 UTC 2015

On 06/01/2015 07:26 PM, Colin Arnott wrote:
> If there are issues with startpage, is there any reason not to use duckduckgo
> as default? I use their hidden service as my default search engine and have
> never had issues with them.

DuckDuckgo's search results are pretty much useless, a waste of time.
Startpage is a very good Google gateway, and the proxy option is cool.
But it was serving CAPTCHAs, maybe worse than Google's. Disconnect is
fast, with no CAPTCHAs, and provides protected access to Google Search
Tools, Images, Videos and News.

Also, as I've noted, Tor browser _does not_ have the Disconnect add-on
installed. So presumably it just hits https:/search.disconnect.me/
directly, and nothing critical is getting shared. I presume that this
has been explored carefully. Maybe someone can share about that.